Sunday, May 17, 2015

REMARKS: SECRETARY KERRY AND CHINESE PRESIDENT JINPING

FROM:  U.S. STATE DEPARTMENT
Remarks Before Meeting With Chinese President Xi Jinping
Remarks
John Kerry
Secretary of State
Great Hall of the People
Beijing, China
May 17, 2015

PRESIDENT XI: (Via interpreter) Secretary Kerry, welcome to China. I understand that you are leaving China this afternoon, but still I have to extend a big, warm welcome to you here to Beijing. Your visit happens at an important time for both sides to conduct timely communication regarding this relationship. And Mr. Secretary, I understand that during your tenure in the Senate and in your current capacity as the Secretary of State of the United States, you are both committed to growing China-U.S. relationship. I wish to express my appreciation for what you have done.

In my view, China-U.S. relationship has remained stable on the whole. When President Obama visited China last November, the two of us had in-depth exchanges and discussions, and we reached an important agreement on growing China-U.S. relationship. On my part, I look forward to my visit to the United States in the coming September this year upon the invitation of President Obama. I look forward to continuing to grow this relationship with President Obama and bring China-U.S. relationship to a new height along the track of a new model of major country relationship between our two countries.

SECRETARY KERRY: Well, Mr. President, thank you very much for your welcome. Let me especially begin by saying that I know you and your team aren’t normally here on a weekend and especially on Sunday. I know your entire team and you personally made a very special exception in order to be able to work out my schedule, and I want to express my deep appreciation to you for doing that. I also want to thank your team for the excellent discussions we had yesterday in-depth. We particularly laid out the agenda for your summit with President Obama, which we are very much looking forward to.

Search This Blog

Translate

White House.gov Press Office Feed